top of page

4 October 2017

When do I need to lodge my 2017 Tax Return?

Most Individual Tax Returns are due by 31 October, 2017 before late lodgement penalties are imposed by the ATO.

By registering and lodging your tax return through a Registered Tax Agent (like Platinum Accounting Brisbane), you could extend your deadline.

 Read more

7 September 2017


The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

You can maximise your tax refund by making personal superannuation contributions by June 30 each year and claiming it as a tax deduction. The rules for 2017 for personal superannuation contributions have changed so please read the following for an update.

 Read more

12 July 2017

Top 5 Tax Deductions

Tax time is officially upon us. Yes, we understand it is a time consuming

process to collate all your documents, add up all your receipts, find time

to book and attend your appointment. BUT did you know that you could

claim back hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars each year simply by

investing more time into your tax return?

 Read more

14 June 2017

'Backpacker Tax'

Australia is a beautiful country that offers a friendly, relaxed lifestyle for

backpackers on a working holiday visa. While you enjoy this experience,

please also ensure you understand and comply with the backpacker tax

rules that apply to your individual circumstances.

 Read more

1 June 2017

A Tax Warning for UBER Drivers

Managing your own UBER business can be an excellent source of extra income and can provide a number of lifestyle benefits, but to continue doing this, you must ensure your tax obligations to the ATO are diligently followed.

 Read more

26 May 2017

Claiming Motor Vehicle Expenses

Reduce your tax payable by claiming motor vehicle expenses. You may be eligible to decrease your tax payable by using the Logbook Method or the Cents per Kilometre method, resulting in an increase in tax deduction.

 Read more

15 May 2017

2017 Federal Budget Update

Find out how the 2017 Federal Budget key tax changes may affect you.


29 June 2015


Why Use a Tax Agent?


People often query why they should pay for a Tax Agent when they can just use the ATO’s free tax software such as Etax.


Let’s start with Etax. Clients have stated that they find Etax confusing, cumbersome and time consuming. Unless you understand all the technical terms and jargon, then it’s likely that you will miss out on extra deductions and tax offsets. When you lodge your tax return via Etax or MyTax, you are essentially on your own. There’s very limited support from the ATO and if you make a mistake, you are on your own with ATO auditors.



28 June 2013


Client Gifts and Greeting Cards


Many people believe that client meetings at a restaurant or cafe are tax deductible. In fact, this is considered by the ATO as 'entertainment' and is therefore NOT Tax Deductible. If you want to impress your clients to advertise your business or seal-a-deal, then give a gift instead!



26 June 2013


Changes to the Private Health Insurance Rebate


The ‘Private Health Insurance Rebate’ is an amount that the government contributes towards the cost of your private health insurance premiums. Most people claim the rebate as a reduction in the amount of premiums they pay to their private health insurers. Previously, the rebate was 30%.


From the 1st July 2012, the government changed the rebate amount so that it is now based on your level of income.





23 June 2013


Travel Agents – Is travel deductible?


It is a common practice within the travel and tourism industry for sales staff to be provided with discounted holiday packages and trips which are often referred to as 'educationals' or 'familiarisations'. As a travel agent, these may seem beneficial as the personal experience may be used to recommend tours and travel to clients. However, this reason alone is not sufficient for a tax deduction.


You will need to clearly demonstrate that the trip is more than a ‘holiday’.



20 June 2013


Changes to the Tax Free Threshold


For the 2013 Tax Year, the tax free threshold is changing from $6000 to $18200.


This means that some of you will not need to lodge a tax return this year.


We have included some examples to see if you need to lodge a tax return.



18 June 2013

Superannuation for Sole Traders and Partnerships


If you're self-employed - that is, a sole trader or a partner in a partnership - you are not obliged to make super contributions to a super fund for yourself. However, you may want to consider super as a way of saving for your retirement. If you're self-employed, you may:


  • be able to claim a full tax deduction for your super contributions

  • be eligible for the Low Income Super Contribution (LISC)

  • be eligible for the super co-contribution






16 June 2013

Tax Advice for Teachers


Some common examples of deductible items include:

  • Stickers, stationery and craft materials

  • Student Prizes

  • Reference books, journals, magazine and newspapers (note the content of magazines and newspapers should be specific to the school work subject matter, and not general in nature)

  • Costs associated with a classroom pet

  • Union and professional association membership renewal fees (but not the joining fee)

  • A stopwatch and batteries for the stopwatch (But it can’t be a normal watch with a stopwatch function on it)

  • Computers and laptops (which may need to be depreciated depending on their initial cost)

  • Compulsory Uniforms (which must be specified in the school policy and have a visible logo)

  • Laundry of compulsory uniforms

  • Sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat for school sporting coaches


Other expenses to consider are...


bottom of page